Antrim County United Through Ecology (ACUTE)
We are a stakeholder in the ACUTE collaborative that seeks consensus in resolving the toxic plume of trichloroethylene contamination extending from Mancelona, MI towards the Schuss Mountain Ski Resort. This is the current stakeholder list: TCE Plume ACUTE Who’s Who Roster.
March 12, 2015 Antrim County Board of Commissioners Meeting
As a follow up to the February 12th meeting, the Commissioners are scheduled to review a draft contract at 1:45 PM, Thursday, March 12th to ratify their arrangement with MAWSA. Part of the Commissioner’s action on February 12th was for Antrim County Prosecuting Attorney to work with MAWSA’s Special Counsel to develop the language of a mutually agreeable draft contract for review by the County Commissioners. A draft copy of the minutes of the Commissioner’s February 12th meeting is available online, if you would like to read the essence of the 22 public comments made on February 12th, all of which were in support of this transaction.
February 12, 2015 Antrim County Board of Commissioners Meeting
At their meeting on February 12, 2015, the Antrim County Board of Commissioners considered a request for $250,000 in support of construction projects designed to mitigate the threat to local water wells posed by the advancing underground TCE plume. The County Commissioners voted 7 to 2 for a Resolution to develop a contract between Antrim County and MAWSA to appropriate $250,000 in matching funds to secure about a million dollars from DEQ to install phase one of the TCE plume-related improvements in the Mancelona Area Water system. Additional information and a thank you is contained in this document: TCE Plume Thank You
The following information has been collected and is posted to provide background and current information on the activities related to ACUTE and proposed options for dealing with this issue.
- TCE Plume Packet, Village of Bellaire Trustees – Feb 4, 2015 meeting:
- FACTS about the size of the plume, acronyms, and number of households in affected area.
- FAQs about Antrim County’s response to MAWSA’s request for $250K in financial assistance
- DEQ’s Letter to MAWSA (July 3, 2014) offering $750K if Antrim community provides $250K
- MAWSA’s Letter to Antrim County requesting the $250K
- Cross-sectional maps of the TCE plume showing the depth of the plume
- Antrim County’s letter of support to State Representatives for $300K, prelim engineering of options
- DEQ’s Bob Wagner’s matching funds letter (July 3, 2014) to AC: $750K if $250K from local community
- Antrim County’s letter to MAWSA requesting legal basis for financial assistance (Aug 12, 2014)
- Roger Swets’ letter to Antrim County that provides the legal basis for financial assistance (Oct 1, 2014)
- Antrim County’s letter requesting additional legal opinion from Attorney General’s office (Oct 13, 2014)
- Attorney General’s office response to Antrim County’s request for legal opinion (Dec 31, 2014)
- Sign-On letter of support from area environmental organizations to Antrim County (Aug 1, 2014)
- Additional letter of support from Grand Traverse Watershed Center to Antrim County (July 30, 2014)
- 2013 Leading Edge of the TCE plume: Map
Meeting Agendas and Minutes: