Obtain hands-on experience in environmental science while giving back to the community. Every summer the Three Lakes Association chooses one or more water quality projects that will provide students a rich experience with data collection and water body stewardship as we preserve and protect Torch Lake, Lake Bellaire and Clam Lake.
Read about the project for this summer: Snail Grazing and Abundance in Torch Lake
Past projects have included:
- qPCR testing to assess the risk of swimmer’s itch and E. coli
- large woody debris installation for habitat improvement
- removal of sediment from the Grass River
- golden brown algae study on lake floors
- E. coli and macroinvertebrate monitoring
- fish assessments
- shoreline survey
- lake water quality testing
Students who are selected for the internship will be expected to:
- Spend at least 60 hours of volunteer time involved in various scientific activities
- Prepare a report of the project that will be posted on the TLA website (with help and support!)
- Make a presentation about their experience to their school board
- Attend a training seminar in May. This will be scheduled at a time that works for everyone.
- Be ready to start on Thursday, June 3, after school.
In addition to a great experience, students will receive:
- A ½ credit on their school transcript for environmental science
- A $550 award after completion of the internship requirements
- A letter from TLA acknowledging the student’s participation
Review the TLA Student Contract for full description of expectations and dates: TLA Student Contract
Applications for the Three Lakes Association Summer Intern Program will be accepted until May 7. Interested high school students from the Bellaire, Central Lake, Elk Rapids, Kalkaska, and Mancelona school districts may apply.
To apply, fill out our online application below. You may also download, print and mail the application.
If you have any questions concerning the application or the program itself, please contact: David Yuhaus or Katie Kraft by email, email@example.com
2021 Summer Intern Application
Successful applicants will be notified by May 11, 2021
If you have any questions concerning this application or the program itself, please contact:
David Yuhaus (231) 709-0865
Katie Kraft (734) 646-9280